Karin Borup and Jesper Moeller bought Chateau St Gaultier in October 2012. The castle itself had been empty for many years, but they started to gently restore the 43 rooms. They didn’t have any water, electricity or heating in the Chateau, but they stayed in an annex which had been renovated. Karin is a goldsmith and Jesper an engineer and they did most of the work themselves. After living 4 years in the annex, they moved over to the Chateau. They only have an old bathroom, with hot and cold water, but still no heating. They are now working on a new kitchen in the Chateau, a garage for their 3 vintage cars and they will soon start on a swimming pool.
Built in 1890, the castle was built on top of the ruins of the old chateau site, whose history dates back to the 1400s. The French King Henry IV visited the town in 1597 and stayed at Chateau St Gaultier. Today there is still a water tower, a large wine cellar and an ice cellar in the hill, left from the old castle. The Chateau is in the center of the village of St.Gaultier, the gate is at the Champ de Foire with a market every Friday morning.
Karin and Jesper have 3 B&B rooms, a double room and two family rooms. The Chateau has lovely park grounds where many guests enjoy picnics. Next year there are plans for glamping in 2 luxury tents and in the past Karin has offered cooking courses as well as specialty lunches and dinners.