Here’s your recipe for the weekend courtesy of the lovely Karen owner of Chateau de Vaudezert in Normandy : Pears poached in spiced red wine
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- Fresh thyme sprig
- 6 pears peeled but kept whole
- Amaretti biscuits
- Vanilla ice cream
- Half the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the black seeds, put into a large saucepan with the wine, sugar, cinnamon and thyme
- Cut each piece of pod into three long thin strips and add to the pan and then add the pears
- Poach the pears, covered in the wine for 20-30 minutes. Cooking will depend on the ripeness of the pears
- Take the pears from the pan, boil the liquid to reduce it by half so that it’s syrupy
- Serve each pear with the cooled syrup, vanilla ice cream and top with crumbled amaretti biscuits
Sounds delish thank you Karen.
Chateau de Vaudezert is already thinking ahead for when lockdown ends and they’re taking reservations for 3 night stays (which would include a welcome meal with wine/beer) as well as last minute celebrations. Don’t be disappointed if your event was recently cancelled, Karen is ready to assist. Take a look at the Chateau de Vaudezert and all it has to offer!
Please like and share this recipe with your friends.